Translate

Friday, October 11, 2019

Property 2 - 25 to Life

Life became a lot more expensive after purchasing my first income property. My student loans were no longer in their grace periods, so Sallie Mae was entitled to a fair share of my monthly income. Also, I started a serious relationship. Seriously, who knew love would be so expensive? I found myself spending more money during my vacations. Love makes you hungrier I guess. When I was traveling as a single woman I barely ate food. Now, walking around with this handsome giant, we were trying everything (except meat for me). I was also spending money on Airbnbs. When traveling alone, I always stayed with a friend or family member for free, but most people don't have space for me and my handsome giant. So now I have two additional expenses - Sallie Mae and love.
          I was looking for other ways to make up for the extra spending so I started tutoring an old student in math and reading. That only lasted a short time because my student started doing way better in school - she didn't need me anymore. In short, I didn't find any immediate way to make extra money so...I tailored my goal to fit my brokeness. Instead of going for another single family wholesome house in America, I started looking outside of the country.
         I looked at houses in Italy, Ghana, South Africa, Jamaica...and probably on Mars.
I knew that maybe one day I'd find myself living in Cape Town, South Africa since I survived it there for 5 months while I studied abroad in college. No, I didn't just survive, I thrived. I loved Cape Town so I devised my plan to own some type of liveable space there.

         Remember in my first post how I saved up for property 1? Well I did the same for property 2. I saved $20,000 within 2 years and purchased a 1 bedroom apartment. But, the apartment did not cost just $20K. It actually was listed for about $50K. How did I come up with the other $30K?


No comments:

Post a Comment